Stop Smoking and Be Slim
by so many ways like doing some physical activities and eating less than the normal daily food intake. To maintain the right diet, people have to pick healthy foods.
It would be helpful enough to know the underlying principles on why people increase their weights after they have stopped smoking. These are:
- Our metabolism (the pace at which our body burns calories) is increased by smoking. Thus, when a person stops smoking his metabolism is slowed down than its normal pace.
- People who stopped smoking have the tendency to increase their food intake because they try to substitute cigarettes with food.
- People who stopped smoking find food tastier than when they were still smoking.
Smoking is basically harmful to the human body. According to the American Lung Association, quitting smoking will have the following effects:
- Twenty (20) minutes after a person stopped smoking, his BP (blood pressure) and heartbeat will lower down and the temperature particularly of the hands and feet will be increased.
- Eight (8) minutes after, the amount of carbon monoxide in the person’s blood will be reduced to normal and the amount of oxygen will increase to normal.
- Twenty four (24) hours after, the probability of having a myocardial infarction will be reduced.
- Forty eight (48) hours after, the endings of the nerves will begin to regenerate and the person’s sense of smell and taste will get better than the time he was smoking.
- Two (2) weeks to three (3) months after, blood circulation and the condition of the lung will improve and the physical activity (such as walking and running) will become easier.
- One (1) month to nine (9) months after, physical manifestations like coughing, conditions relating to sinuses, weakness and dyspnea (difficulty in breathing) will be reduced.
- One (1) year after, the risk of acquiring coronary heart disease will be reduced to 50% compared with that of smokers.
- Five (5) to fifteen (15) years after, chances of having a cardiovascular accident will be reduced just like of those who have never tried even one stick of cigarettes.
- Ten (10) years after, the probability of having lung cancer will be reduced to 50% compared with those who continue to smoke. Probability of developing cancers (mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas) and ulcers will be greatly reduced also.
- Fifteen (15) years after, the probability of having a coronary heart disease will be reduced to that people who never tried smoking. Additionally, the risk of death will be reduced almost to the same level of people who have never smoked.
Problems pertaining to weight gain after quitting from smoking are no longer a problem if the person knows what to do. By stopping from smoking, a person feels much healthier and richer with more friends around them.
|By: DP||6 years ago|
|Smoking does not increase metabolism. It curbs appetite.|